Property taxes are the District's main revenue source for providing services to our community. Tax notices are mailed in late May and are due July 4, 2023.
A 5% late payment penalty will be applied to current taxes remaining outstanding after July 4, 2023, and a further 5% to current taxes and utilities remaining outstanding after July 31, 2023.
- Online banking by adding the District of Hope as a payee.
- Payment by cash, cheque or interac at the Municipal Hall, 325 Wallace St., during office hours (Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:30pm, excluding stat holidays). Post-dated cheques are accepted.
- An after hours drop slot is located at the main entrance to the Municipal Hall, 325 Wallace St. (cheques only please)
- At most BC Financial Institutions
- Online with a credit card at District of Hope - Online Payments (using your roll number and access code); third party processing fees apply to credit card payments.
Home Owner Grants
Home owner grants must be claimed through the Province.
- Apply 24/7 online at Home owner grant - Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca)
- Apply with an agent: Toll Free at 1-888-355-2700 Monday to Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm, excluding stat holidays.
- Apply 24/7 using automated self-serve system, Toll Free at 1-888-355-2700, option 3
To apply, you will need your social insurance number and your jurisdiction and tax roll# (located on your property tax notice).
Non-receipt of tax notice is not recognized as a valid reason for failing to pay taxes by their due date. Provincial legislation and District bylaws do not allow penalties on unpaid taxes to be waived.
Provincial Property Tax Deferment Program
The Tax Deferment Program is a low interest loan program that helps qualified homeowners pay their annual property taxes on their principal residence. The taxes can be deferred for any year the homeowner lives in the home and meets the criteria for the program. Prior year taxes and interest must have been paid. Homeowner must pay their residential utilities, claim their Home Owner Grant, and complete the tax deferment program application by July 4, 2023, to avoid late payment penalties.
For more information on the Property Tax Deferment Program and to apply online, visit Tax deferment program application - Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca)
Note: Late payment penalties will apply if:
- Your application is not approved, and it is past the property tax due date
- Your application is withdrawn or rejected for any reason, by yourself or by the Tax Deferment Office, after the tax due date.