New Waste Collection Information
Effective April 1, 2020, the new Fraser Valley Regional District waste sorting bylaw applies to all owners or occupiers of residential, commercial, industrial and institutional properties in Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Harrison Hot Springs, Hope, Kent, Mission and Electoral Areas A - H.
To comply with this bylaw, residents of Hope must sort all recyclable and compostable material out of the garbage before it leaves your property.
The implementation of the regional bylaw has prompted changes to the collection system in the District of Hope. Waste collection days will remain the same, however what is collected each week will be changing. A new alternating collection schedule officially begins February 10th. Once in place Garbage and Recycling/Glass will be collected on alternate weeks and Organics/Green Waste collected weekly. A more detailed calendar is coming soon.
The District of Hope is also moving to a semi-automated collection system whereby residents will receive the following:
• A 65 Gallon Cart for Garbage
• A 65 Gallon Cart for Recycling
• A 65 Gallon Cart for Organics and green waste,
• A smaller container for Glass
Beginning January 20th, starting in the Silver Creek Collection Zone, containers will be delivered to each residence, left curbside. Once you receive your carts, you may begin to use them. Complete rollout of the carts is expected to take two weeks. The carts are wheeled and easy to deploy with indicators on each for placement at the curb for collection and include embossed instructions on accepted items except for recycling which has a separate list that you can download here.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I’m going to be away the week my bins arrive?
Then simply call 604-792-6070 to register and Valley Waste will return to your address to bring the carts from the curb close to your house.
How do I recycle items not on the accepted list?
The Recycle BC Collection facility at Hope Mattress Recycling is set up for those items not accepted curbside. This facility is located at 1046 4th Avenue.
Are there rules around Glass Collection?
Please ensure all glass is clean of contents. Labels can still be on however lids go into recycling.
What about extra bags if my container is full?
The carts are large enough to handle routine curbside collection volumes. Additional containers/bags will not be accepted at this time. Large volumes of residential waste can be taken to the Transfer Station.
Can we use bags for organics?
Only use paper bags to collect or contain organics. Plastic bags, even those labelled “compostable or “biodegradable”, are not accepted. Paper bags containing liners are also not accepted.
What day am I to expect my carts?
The District is unable to provide details on specific delivery times. Delivery will commence on January 20th and is expected to take two weeks.
What are organics?
Organic Material means material that can be composted or digested, including the following:
- Food waste including meat, fish, seafood, bones, grain products (bread/pasta/baked goods), salad, salad dressing, coffee grounds, dairy products, eggs, egg shells, fruits, vegetables, pasta, nuts, nutshells, non-liquid fats, butter, mayonnaise, and other condiments;
- Food soiled paper including paper that has been soiled by or comingled with food residue, compostable paper packaging, paper plates, carbon paper, facial tissue, paper napkins or towels;
- Plant waste including grass clippings, moss, tree trimmings and branches, leaves, plants, flowers, weeds, bark mulch, but excluding agricultural waste; and
- Single-use wooden food utensils including toothpicks, popsicle sticks, stir sticks, skewers and chop sticks;
Who owns the carts and glass container?
The carts and glass container belong to the waste hauler, Valley Waste and Recycling. The carts and container are assigned to the property and not the occupants. What this means is that if you move they must remain at the residence. Each cart is impregnated with a chip that can be tracked, making it easy for the hauler to locate missing carts.
District of Hope