Thinking of Running for Office?
Pick up your Nomination Package Now!
Nomination Period opens at 9:00 a.m. Tuesday September 4, 2018 and closes at 4:00 p.m. Friday September 14, 2018.(This is the time period to submit your completed Nomination Package)
Qualifications for Office:
- will be, on general voting day, 18 years of age or older;
- Canadian citizen;
- resident of BC for at least 6 months prior to the date of nomination;
- not disqualified under the Local Government Act or any other enactment from being nominated for, elected to or holding the office, or otherwise disqualified by law;
- a person or the commander of an armed forces unit who has been granted freedom of the municipality, if that person is a Canadian citizen
Helpful Resources/Information: www.civicinfo.bc.ca/directories
Local government mailing address, website and email addresses: www.gov.bc.ca/localelections
Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
- Local Elections in B.C.: What Every Candidate Needs to Know
- Candidate's Guide to Local Government Elections in B.C.
- Elector Organization Guide to Local Government Elections in B.C.
- Guide to Supporting a Candidate for Local Government Elections in B.C.
- Voter's Guide to Local Elections in B.C
Legislation also available to view:
- Community Charter
- Financial Disclosure Act
- Local Elections Campaign Financing Act
- Local Elections Campaign
- Local Elections Statutes Amendment Act
- Local Government Act
- BC Regulation 380/93 (Local Government Elections Regulation)
- Offence Act
Elections BC provides information on the following at: http://www.elections.bc.ca/index.php/local-elections-campaign-financing/
- Local Elections Campaign Financing
- Campaign Organizers
- Elector Organizations
- Third Party Sponsors
- Guides and Resources