Materials Containing Asbestos
THE HOPE TRANSFER STATION DOES NOT ACCEPT ASBESTOS CONTAINING MATERIALS.
Drywall will only be accepted if one of these conditions is met:
- Clean cuts of drywall without tape, texture coating, mud, or joint compound.
- The drywall is date stamped 1990 or newer (not every piece in a load needs to be date stamped, but at least one piece must be and the load must appear consistent or additional date stamps and/or asbestos testing will be required). Please ensure the date stamp is clearly visible to the transfer station operator upon entry.
- Laboratory test results or a hazardous materials assessment report from a Qualified Person indicating there is no asbestos in the drywall. A hard copy of the test results or report is required, must be less than 5 months old, and the description must match the drywall in question.
Other common products that may contain asbestos include:
- Soffit boards, roof felting, under sheathing
- Fireplace box and mantel, artificial fireplace logs and ashes, fire doors, fire blankets
- Vinyl floor tiles/sheets and mastic
- Ceiling tiles
- Drywall mud, plaster, stucco, textured coatings
- Candescent light fixture backing (pot lights), heat reflectors
- Pipe (mechanical) insulation, furnace/boiler/hot water tank insulation
- Vermiculite (blown-in) insulation, spray-applied insulation (acoustic and fireproofing)
- Paper backing on fiberglass insulation, asbestos cardboard insulation
The above materials are considered suspect asbestos waste and will not be accepted. If you want to dispose of any of these products as regular garbage, you must have:
- Original packaging or date stamps that show your materials are 1990 or newer, or
- A certificate of analysis from an accredited laboratory from the past 5 months that shows the material does not contain asbestos, or
- Written certification from a Qualified Person that the materials were tested and do not contain asbestos
Regardless of the above, all vermiculite will be treated as asbestos waste.
TO DISPOSE OF ASBESTOS CONTAINING MATERIALS, PLEASE GIVE THE RCBC RECYCLING HOTLINE A CALL, MONDAY TO FRIDAY, 9:00AM TO 4:00PM:
BC Toll-Free: 1-800-667-4321
Lower Mainland: 604-RECYCLE (604-732-9253)