Recycling and Garbage
Recycling and Garbage Collection
Recycling and Garbage collection for the District of Hope is transitioning to a new Contractor.
Curbside pickup occurs in Hope on:
- Tuesday for all residents in the areas of Silver Creek, the Airport, Tom Berry Road, Kawkawa Lake, Othello, Union Bar, Thacker Mountain and all streets south and east of the Canadian National Railway line running through town, and
- Wednesday for all residents in the downtown core north and west of the Canadian National Railway line running through town and all addresses over the Fraser Bridge past Lake of the Woods.
All materials are to be at the curb by 7:00 am.
- Garbage: 2-standard garbage bags or containers not exceeding 20 kgs each
- Multi-Recycle: Unlimited multi-recycle in identified containers with lids.
- Green Waste: 5-32 Gallon standard garbage containers or biodegradable paper bags (approved for organic materials) max. weight 20 kgs each. Green waste is not to be bagged in plastic.
- Additional "bag tags" for garbage are available for $2.63, place on bag or edge of container lid to be removed by the driver and are available for purchase at the District of Hope Municipal Hall.
- Green Waste and Recyling decals for containers are also available, for free, at the District Hall.
- Residents are reminded that glass cannot be co-mingled with other recyclables at curbside for pick up. In order to better facilitate the recycling of glass bottles, jars, etc., the District has added a large bin at the Recreation Centre parking lot.
The District's Transfer Station is located at 22970 Trans Canada Highway.
- Debit and Credit Card only for the time being. No cash.
- Commercial users can pick up a credit application at the Transfer Station if they wish to set up an account with Valley Waste.
- Hours of operation are Tuesday to Saturday 8:30am-4pm
Current Disposal Fees:
• Refuse-$115.00/1,000 Kg
• Unsorted Loads-$175.00/1,000 Kg
• Compostable Waste (de-bagged)-$75.00/1,000 Kg
• Compostable Waste (not de-bagged)-$175.00/1,000 Kg
• Yard Waste (trees, stumps, branches & brush only)-$75.00/1,000 Kg
• Clean Construction Wood Waste-$100.00/1,000 Kg
• Drywall/Gypsum Board-$145.00/1000 Kg
• Tires (No Rims) maximum 20 inch-$20.00/tire
• Mattresses, Box Springs-$10.00 each
• Minimum Fee for all waste categories-$10.00
Outside of Hope or Electoral Areas A, B, C & D
a surcharge is applicable
Failing to comply with instructions of scale attendant, and/or dumping when prohibited
Gently used clothing can also be dropped off at the Transfer Station. Used clothing collected at the Transfer Station and Landfill is donated to the Canadian Diabetes Association (CDA). Go to CDA donation program for more information.
For more information, please contact the Transfer Station at 236-355-0044.