Agriculture Advisory Committee Members Needed
The District of Hope would like to invite you to participate in an Agriculture Advisory Committee (AAC).
The District of Hope and AdvantageHOPE have partnered on an initiative to undertake an Agriculture Area Planning Process. The Hope Food Collective will also provide services in kind to assist with the process. Agricultue Area Planning and maximization of Hope's agricultural land was identified as a priority in the Integrated Official Community Plan (IOCP), Hope's Economic Development Strategy, and was a recommendation in the Food Security Assessment conducted by the Hope Food Collective.
Agriculture Area Planning Process:
With the help of a consultant, and an Agriculture Advisory Committee, our objectives will be to:
- Understand the situation our local producers are currently facing
- Connect local producers to one another and improve communication between farmers
- Identify challenges and opportunities both locally and regionally to increasing agriculture uptake
- Complete an Agriculture Area Plan that could include the following:
- Identify opportunities to strengthen farming and develop agriculture as an economic driver
- Develop clear policies and bylaws that serve to protect, preserve, and promote agriculture
- Increase the amount of, and access to, locally grown and produced food
- Include edge planning and trail planning around agricultural land to ensure land use planning is integrated
- Identify ways to capitalize on emerging market potential for agriculture which may include featuring agriculture and local food systems as part of lifestyle marketing and targeted sector marketing.
What is an Agriculture Advisory Committee?
It is very helpful for the Municipality to appoint an AAC to assit them in the planning process. Members are drawn from the agriculture and agrifoods processing community. The Committee will focus on agriculture issues. Augmenting the Committee will be staff from the District of Hope, the Ministry of Agriculture, AdvantageHOPE, and members of the Hope Food Collective.
Role or Purpose of the Committee:
The AAC is a voluntary role. The role of the Committee is to advise the District of Hope during the Agriculture Area Planning Process. Activities will include:
- Review proposed bylaws, official community plans, policies, agricutural land use inventory and Food Security Coalition Risk Assessment
- Provide input on parks and recreation, transportation, growth management plans and other land use proposals that impact agriculture
- Steer the agricultural area plan to completion
- Assist with implementation of the plan within the agriculture and food sectors
- Assist with the development of agricultural edge policies to enhance land use compataibility
- Advise on the necessity and appropriateness of farm bylaws
- Propose local governement policies related to farming
The Committee shall consist of members of the community with relevant experience or knowledge in the agriculture and agrifoods processing sector. The balance of the Committee will be filled out by staff from the District of Hope, AdvantageHOPE, the Ministry of Agriculture and industry experts.
Appointments to the Committee will be for a one (1) year term beginning in November 2017 and ending in November 2018.
Tentatively, the Committee will be scheduled to attend at least one facilitated workshop with a consultant, as well as approximately six (6) Committee meetings. This may be subject to change.
Accepting our invitation to join the AAC and Next Steps.
If you are interest in participating as a volunteer on the Hope Agriculture Advisory Committee, please contact Brittany Ekelund at the District of Hope to sign up, email@example.com or call 604-869-5671.
Have some questions before you decide on the Agriculture Area Planning Process and Committee activities, contact the AAC Coordinator: Stephanie Hooker, AdvantageHOPE, 604-260-1234, firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline to apply will be November 20, 2017
You will be asked to sign a Committee Volunteer Contract that outlines the code of ethics and confidentiality policies.
The District of Hope will be issuing a Request for Proposal to hire an Agriculture Consultant to facilitate and produce the Agriculture Area Plan. Once this consultant is hired, Committee members will be informed of the workshop and meeting schedule.